I’ve shown you the broccoli seedlings, they’ve grown more since that was taken, and I’ve even let them have some outside time with the big kids. Sadly a couple succumbed to the human kid during evening ‘play outside rather than going mental’ time.

I also had a brainwave while sitting in the kitchen the other day when I saw a container of cotton face wipey things I think I inherited from my Grandma. She died five years ago, and I’ve moved house with these wipes (I think they’re for removing makeup) several times now. I’ve also got hundreds of cotton balls because I got sucked in while pregnant to the idea that babies require cotton balls. Frankly, I found a muslin facewasher was much simpler when he was a newborn, and these days we just squirt him with high pressure bath toys.

But I digress, unused cotton balls and wipey things are now sitting lined up in trays with seeds sprouting on them in our kitchen. In fact, quite a bit of our kitchen table is taken up with them, and we have people coming for dinner. I’m quite happy with myself for coming up with a seed raising plan that doesn’t involve the purchase of more potting mix, and of finally finding a use for all those bloody cotton balls, but we may be eating dinner in the loungeroom for a couple of weeks.

In other news, Cooking Disasters! I started a loaf of no-knead bread a couple of days ago, without checking the forecast. For those not in the know, no-knead bread spends 18-20 hours rising after you mix it together, so it’s a mix now for tomorrow situation. Yesterday it was about 700 degrees so I didn’t turn the oven on, in fact, we left the house early and didn’t come back til it was nearly dark. I left the dough sitting in a bowl  with a teatowel over it on the bench by the window all day. So this morning when I was feeling brave enough to broach it, I discovered that it had cooked a bit around the edges. It smelled a bit from over proofing too. Sour. Anyway, I figured I’d give it a chance rather than throw it out, so I tipped it out onto flour, kneaded it around a little, discarded the cooked bits, and when it had risen again, I put it in the oven.

I’ve just taken it out of the oven and I thought I’d write while it cools. Which it probably has by now. So wish me luck. This may be a truly awful sandwich I’m about to embark on.